Baker Free Library Mission Statement
Baker Free Library serves the informational, educational, and leisure needs of the residents of Bow.  It promotes, develops, and maintains open access to the facilities, resources, and services available locally and through inter-library networks.  Baker Free Library assures an environment that stimulates knowledge, culture, and the pure enjoyment of reading.



Brief History of the Baker Free Library
 
In 1912, Congressman Henry M. Baker, cousin of Mary Baker Eddy, donated $10,000 and the land next to his family home on South Street to the Town of Bow for the creation of a public library.  The new Baker Free Library was dedicated two years later at its present site. The Library has been an important part of the community's cultural life for almost 100 years. 
 
In 1967 an addition was completed and it's served the needs of the growing Bow community for over 30 years.  In September 1999 the first floor of the 1967 addition was demolished to make way for the current addition and renovation of the original building. Dennis Mires, P.A., The Architects of Manchester, New Hampshire, designed the expansion plan.  The Library's square footage expanded by 5,200 square feet for a total of 9,333 square feet.
 
On October 21, 2000 the new addition and renovated original building were rededicated. The facility provides seating for quiet study, Internet access, an automated catalog and circulation system, and a friendly staff receptive to suggestions for improvements.
 
Starting in 2008, the LIbrary is pursuing public input regarding the completion of the unfinished basement space.  By the end of 2009, the Library staff and Board of Trustees plan to have a new five-year strategic plan developed to address the completion of this space by the Library's 100th Anniversary on October 29, 2014.